What is the Target Client Profile – or TCP
The Target Client Profile (TCP) is the criteria that makes up your ideal client. Clients who meet the following 5 criteria are the clients you should be on the look out for. We get it, not all your clients right now probably fit into this mold, but it’s something to strive for. Hey, at the end of the day, having clients who fit into your TCP will make every one happier.
Share this Post
The 5 Criteria of the Target Client Profile
- You need to have a strategic plan on where you want to be. If it isn’t necessarily the clients you have now, it’s the clients you WANT to have. Who are they, where do they live, how much do they make, what do they like to do, are they conservative or not, what do they wear, what do they eat…you need to get that granular.
- Find a picture in a magazine of your perfect client and start adding sticky notes around them that describe them.
- You need to like them. This is so important. If you meet someone and you just cringe or think I’m going to hate answering the phone when he/she calls. Don’t do it.
- Don’t be a slave to the almighty dollar – see #2
- They need to be able to afford you. I never haggle on my price. EVER. I may reduce services, but my brain is worth something. Hell, 55 years of “stuff” in there has value. Don’t haggle or sell on price. If you do, you are training your customer that price is the point and you are a commodity. People will pay for things they see value in.
- You have to be able to bring them value. If the prospect doesn’t drink your Kool-Aid – you will never bring them value because they will always be questioning your actions. The trust factor has to be there.
And there my friend is the TCP. When you start out you are going to take clients that don’t fit – hey, you have to eat. But if you can afford NOT to do that – you are in a great space. Taking clients that are not in your TCP suck the life out of you and then keep you away from working with your TCP.
Want some weekly advice and brain food? Join my Thursday email list HERE!