“The reason I’ve been able to be so financially successful is my focus has never, ever for one minute been money”, Oprah Winfrey – Harpo
So many business owners I know, or wanna-be business owners for that matter, focus on the almighty dollar. How to make it, how to spend it, and they feel once they have “it” they will be successful. This “need” for money engrosses them and in the end, it will never be enough to make them happy. #toughlove
Share this Post
Not that making money is a bad thing, it isn’t, and every business owner needs to be acutely aware of his/her finances both in the business and personally. Money also allows us to feed our needs and wants, and hopefully give back in some way. Making money isn’t evil, nor is being wealthy.
The evil happens when, as a business owner, you put money before people or money before the vision.
The road to wealth is riddled with ups and downs – the money is never guaranteed but the pain along the way surely is! When you focus on the money and forget your WHY – the emotional pain becomes crippling. But this is another blog all in itself – back to the money over people part…
The way to grow a successful business is to GIVE.
- Give to your potential clients – free content, free samples, free advice, free time… something that will let them know THEY matter and that YOU get THEM on a deep emotional level.
- Give to your team. This is leadership 101 – but as the owner, the bucks stops with you. When things are great – give your team ALL the credit. When things are going badly – you 100% of the time take the sword. Always. Always. Always. Putting your employees first matters in so many ways. Employees who feel valued will always go above an beyond for you and your business, but more importantly for your customers.
- Give of yourself. Most entrepreneurs I know have deep industry knowledge on something. For me, I’m a business coach, a strategist with deep fingers in the marketing world. I’m a storyteller, a writer, a trainer, and speaker. Those are my superpowers. What brings me joy is helping others do what I do – help them build a business, help them become a business coach or a consultant. I try to give back when I can. I’m always up for lunch so someone can pick my brain – I’ll tell them straight up my opinion on what they need to do to reach their full potential.
When you adopt a giving mindset, the world shifts. Sure this sounds new-agey, but it isn’t. It goes back to the golden rule of treating others how you would like to be treated. You need to GIVE in order to GET.
Let go of the focus on money, and focus on helping others. Help others achieve what you have. Help your employees, help potential clients, help your current clients – help people in your community.
Trust me – when you do this – the money will come. It always does. Interview any multi-millionaire and they will probably tell you this:
- They don’t focus on the money
- They have grit and determination
- They have patience – Rome wasn’t built in a day
- They let go of their ego and realized that they need to surround themselves with people who are smarter than they are and can fill the gaps.
- They focus on their strengths and outsource the rest.
- They practice mindfulness and gratitude – that includes a mindset of giving and giving anonymously
Give to Get. The Secret to Success.