How to grow your email list
Email is not dead. In fact, email is by far the biggest bang for your buck when it comes to connecting with your tribe – especially email automation! So how do you grow your list? The key is you need to do it consistently and always be adding to your list.
Just the facts:
- 91 percent of US adults like to receive promotional emails from companies they do business with (MarketingSherpa)
- Email is almost 40 times more effective than Facebook and Twitter combined in helping your business acquire new customers. (McKinsey)
Where to start to grow your list?
Everyone starts at zero – everyone. So to grow and build a list of thousands will take some time. Here are my tips:
- Understand that 90% of your email content is to serve – not sell. This is all about building credibility and gaining trust.
- Understand that you need to be consistent and that in fact – more is better. We suggest a weekly email to your list – and more if you are in the middle of a launch.
- Choose your email platform – don’t use Outlook, Gmail, etc. – you need to be able to see the metrics. Mailchimp, Constant Contact, Drip, Infusionsoft/Keap – choose what works for you.
- ASK people to join. All email platforms offer a sign-up function – so share that URL everywhere on social media – and ask them to sign up. You can incentivize them if you like! When I do public speaking I offer to donate $1 to the local soup kitchen for every new email sign up. It works 🙂
- Put a sign-up form on your website – this makes it easy for people to find and sign up for your list.
- Use lead magnets such as downloadable checklists, quizzes, e-books, free mini-courses – anything that brings value and someone is willing to give you their email in exchange for it.
- Make sure you deliver GREAT content. If your content sucks – your email engagement will too. Not sure what to write – survey people on your list, your customers, etc. I do it often.
Remember you own your list – you don’t own your social media followers. What does that mean? Even if you have 100k followers on social media, you are relying on the platform and their algorithms to market to your people. You can’t export their contact info and use it elsewhere. Email marketing should be a huge part of your marketing mix!!
Need some help? Grab a spot on my calendar and we can hash out what’s working and what isn’t!