Marketing – it’s a TEAM effort!
As the saying goes – there is no “I” in TEAM. I wish the word Marketing didn’t have an “I” in it so I could carry the saying over – but I think you know where I’m going here. You can spell team using the letters in Marketing though! Marketing is a TEAM effort – that is, if you want to have the biggest ROI (Return on Investment).
About the TEAM in MARKETING. I get some pushback on this, especially if I have a client paying me to handle marketing for them, or if they have an in-house marketing person or group. Why do the rest of the employees need to be involved – what gives?
In fact – a lot gives. Here’s why.
- When you build a culture of inclusion making everyone part of the process and therefore the story, magical things happen. It creates a powerful place of employment, more importantly, the team not only drinks the proverbial Kook-Ade – but they also share it. WORD of MOUTH Marketing is powerful. When employees brag about your brand – what does that say about you? Ps – A Lot.
- You get the REAL STORY. Back to #1. When you have team members posting work selfies on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter – or FB or Insta Live videos they tend to get far more engagement and will tend to become viral over a standard – hey here’s what we do post. More importantly, you are getting a behind the scenes look at what makes the company tick aka “The Real Scoop”.
- Your buyers don’t want to be sold to. When you get that real behind the scenes story, buyers can see what’s real and then make a decision based on that reality. Far more powerful than an advertisement telling someone why they should buy from you.
- The team includes your customers! We all strive to have brand evangelists, so why not encourage your employees to find those evangelists and engage with them on social. Salespeople are your ideal target for this since they are often client facing – or perhaps even a service team. Having an employee and a happy customer in an Instagram Story or in a picture on Twitter is PRICELESS! You can’t beat that kind of advertising.
- Consistency, Authenticity, and Transparency. The holy grail of marketing. When you have your team involved this becomes far easier. You will have more engagement, you will see the real behind the scenes story from real people – not actors, not stock photos and not a stagnant social feed or website.
So….that’s why I encourage CEO’s to have a flexible yet monitored social media policy. Yes, you have to have training and controls especially in compliance driven fields such as healthcare, financial services, and insurance – but trust me, it can be done and done well.
That’s my story, I’m sticking to it. Go Team is the answer to this one. 100% hands down a winner!